Disclosure: I received a 10 Pack of MeStrength Hydration to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews! This post also contains an affiliate link, meaning I will receive a small amount of monetary compensation if you purchase something from the link. All opinions are my own.
Looking for a great way to add some nutrients to your water in a delicious way? MeStrength does the trick!
With running, it is essential to be consuming fluids regularly so that your body can perform at an optimal level. I try to consume 8 glasses a day. I know that might be a little over what I need, but I want to make sure I don’t get thirsty, since that can mean you’re already dehydrated. However, water alone can get a little bit boring sometimes. While I try not to drink Coke, I really like to switch things up with my beverages.
When I heard about MeStrength Electrolyte Drink Mix and the fact that it was zero calories, my reaction was, “what kind of chemicals are in that?” The answer is, none! MeStrength offers 5 essential electrolytes and a little bit of creatine, which can help build muscle and aid in your overall workout performance. This is something anyone who works out can use, regardless of if they run or not, and it’s way better than sports drinks out there that are filled with sugar.
Available in 5 flavors (Lemon-Lime, Orange, Grape, Fruit Punch and Strawberry Kiwi), you are sure to find something that tastes good to you. My favorites were the Lemon-Lime, which tastes like Chick-Fil-A Lemonade, and Strawberry Kiwi. It is sweetened with Stevia, so it’s certainly not full of sugar like Gatorade and Powerade are. I like to drink my MeStrength before my workout – it helps me get that last bit of hydration in before I go kick my own butt.
While the package calls for a 16.9 oz. water bottle, I personally prefer to dilute the drink a bit more than recommended. I put one drink packet in my favorite Camelbak water bottle with ice; the water bottle holds about 3 cups of water total, so with ice I probably dilute it with an extra half cup.
Some other things I loved about MeStrength were:
- Variety of flavors.
- Minimal ingredients… and no artificial red food coloring here!
- It still tastes good because it is sweetened with Stevia; according to the MeStrength website, this also means it absorbs into the bloodstream more quickly.
- Considered a clean drink – it doesn’t contain any preservatives, stimulants, high fructose corn syrup, sugar or stabilizers.
- Gluten-free and vegan means that pretty much anyone can drink it.
- Can be made conveniently with a regular old bottle of water (or with however much water you prefer).
- Zero calories (!!!).
Some of the drawbacks were:
- Salty aftertaste in some flavors.
- I couldn’t drink it during workouts. I tried it, but it didn’t agree with me, and I felt super thirsty because of the salt, I think.
- Price – while premium ingredients are used for this unique drink formula, the price point is a bit higher than others on the market (but you do get what you pay for).
Overall, I definitely would recommend MeStrength if you are looking to supercharge your water in a way that is healthier than other sports drinks like Gatorade. You can stock up on MeStrength via their website, or on Amazon, if you have Prime like I do!
What’s your pre-run fueling routine?
Today I’m raising my glass to MeStrength – cheers!